Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Learning Object for the 'Scientifically Challenged'

I have a confession to make.
Science, alongside math, is largely a mystery to me. As a school student, I believed I didn't have the type of brain for science so I put my efforts into history, law and English literature, which I found easier. One example of science I completely gave up on is the Periodic Table of the Elements. I was told how important it is by my teachers but the whole thing just looked too hard to understand or commit to memory. I wonder if this would have been different had I been able to access learning objects like this:

http://zircon.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/mlx/warehouse/00601-00700/00696/Chemistry.swf

It's an interactive webpage about the Table. The page gives definitions and allows viewers to see the Table's classifications, the relationships between elements and the nature of the elements themselves. It's very simple to use, a breeze to follow and can be accessed via a smart phone, making it portable and useful for when a laptop and web connection isn't handy. Pretty decent little learning object, in my opinion.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I shared with your views that the design of learning objects should be handy, easily understood, portable and interesting, so that no matter science or arts students will love to use and can facilitate their learning motivation.
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning object is truly a present for learners. In a learning object, complicated concepts can be visualized and can be acquired by learners in an interactive manner. If Albert Einstein was still alive, I think he would love it, as he had dyslexia and learnt by visualizing things.

    But of course, a learning object should be treated as a supplementary learning element. I believe that knowledge should be and can be best constructed via social interaction.

    REAL

    ReplyDelete