Monday, April 19, 2010

My Reflection on 'Never Too Late' (hopefully not too late)

I thoroughly enjoyed and can sincerely recommend module 6024. I found the content, tutor, teaching style, amtos and activities spot-on. I have been interested in using ICT for teaching since I became a teacher and loved learning about the new tools available. I knew a little of web 2.0 and m-learning before I started the module, which heightened my level of interest.

The group tasks were very well designed- engaging, relevant and achievable- and my group were lovely! Great people to work with. Sufficient time was given for explanation, task completion, presentation, feedback and discussion and our tutor, Bob Fox, guided the whole process with a gentle hand, firm enough to reel back the most off-topic discussions.

The single most memorable thing I learned was "Pedagogy first!" and I thank Bob for that. It made me examine and consider more closely the readings of this module (and the ideas from Carol Chan's Knowledge Building module I took last semester). I believe the unit I submitted for my assignment is better as a result and will lead to better results and happier students when I teach it next September. I learned a lot about how and why to incorporate ICT into my lessons from that quote. Nice one, Bob!

Another reflection that I was rubbish with RISAL and hope that the cool stuff my group and I found in class is on their somewhere and will count! RISAL was fun to surf, though, and is a tremendous idea. I enjoyed Clive's finds and will use some in my school as soon as I get the chance. I'll keep an eye on RISAL and add some stuff I should have long ago.

The experimental classroom was also a treat. It was fascinating to experience other people's vision of the future. I learned that in the future, students will evolve to have exceptional hearing, a low sensitivity to scalding-bright lights, an aversion to eye contact and absolutely no sense of smell. Lucky.

I missed the demo of the room's voting system. The potential for that is staggering: instant Q & A, tracked and recorded? A teacher's dream.

I would like to see the walls better utilised. Cover them and the ceiling with LEDs, project vast images of anything you like on them and back it all up with surround sound and trembling bass and you might just have a winner. Imagine the potential history lessons. Or biology, music, drama, film, chemistry, physical education, art or almost any subject at all. Every lesson a field trip? Gets my vote.

Finally, thanks again to my groupmates Catherine, regina and Kui! All the best, guys!

1 comment: